Blue Prism is the most robust tool in the pack. If you are looking for a safe bet, Blue Prim is the tool. They are one of the pioneers in the field and even claim to have coined the term Robotic Process Automation (RPA).
Blue prism has an object-oriented architecture which helps manage reusable components better. Overall it is a great tool if you have a developer but lacks a recorder if your team is less technically savvy and like to get things moving quickly. The virtual environment functionality needs improvement.
Features and Ranking
|Development Environment||A workflow configuration environment like Visio. Gartner rating for their development environment is high.|
|Recorder||Blue Prism does not have a recorder. It is an object-oriented tool, unlike other scripting based RPA tools.|
|Bot Operations||Good support for Orchestration, Notifications, Logging, and Triggers. Can improve on Update & Upgrades, Backup & DR and Monitoring.|
|Component Reuse||With its Object oriented architecture, you can build out a library of software objects that can be reused and accessed anytime.|
|Security framework||Good Encryption, Credential, and User management comparable to other tools.|
|Unstructured data/OCR||Uses GoogleTesseract OCR engines which is not the most reliable. Also can integrate with other paid engines like ABBY and cloud services which is better but still not 100%.|
|VDI / Citrix||You need to use Surface automation for Citrix and other virtual environments which is unreliable.|
Provides “out of the box” API integrations with AWS, Google, IBM and Microsoft to enable operational AI
|Process Discovery||Has recently launched a basic Process Discovery tool which is available through their portal.|
|Community Support||Works mostly through partners directly with enterprises. Has a restricted forum on portal. Does not have a Community edition|
Top 3 advantages of choosing Blue Prism
- Robust Solution: Blue prism is considered to be the most mature and secure solution that enables scalability.
- Reusability: Blue Prism Object studio enables users to create reusable objects as the building blocks for the business processes.
- Credibility: One of the earliest RPA providers, they have a strong enterprise user base and market recognition.
Top 3 challenges with Blue Prism you need to be aware of
- Virtual Environments: If your bot needs to work through Citrix of windows remote desktop, Blurprism will be a challenge.
- Developer Dependent: Because of its Object oriented architecture, the tool is programmer heavy. It also lacks a recorder like other RPA tools.
- Community: Does not have a community edition of their tool or community support.
Licensing and approximate cost for Blue Prism
Around 12k to 16k per bot. Usually, have to buy a set of 10 bots. These are the approximate costs as of November 2018. This pricing could be more complex and vary based on your agreement. For eg., There may be volume discounts.